Sunday, June 19, 2011

Arabic


During my time in Lebanon I set my mind to learning Lebanese Arabic, which feels a little like fighting an angry hippo with a Q-tip.  I am taking a few Arabic classes while here, but a couple hours 4 weeks a year weren't getting me very far.  After realizing there is no casually learning Arabic, I invested in a few books on the Lebanese dialect and a few orthanography books on the Arabic language.  I am about halfway through the Arabic alpabet, and I can ask you your name, your friend's name, and if it's time for a break.


Arabic class is good, but we always leave tired!  There are just so many sounds in Arabic that we don't have in English.  Not only are they difficult to pronounce, but it's hard to even hear them apart.  We love our Arabic teacher Nivine though.  She really wants us to learn Lebanese Arabic, and she makes class fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment