Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Byblos

One Saturday some friends and I traveled to about 45 minutes north of Beirut to Byblos, the oldest continually settled place on earth.  Byblos is home to a castle, a Crusader's church, some ruins of Roman rule, and a market where they sell everything.

The Crusader's Castle

Outside of the castle, there are ruins from the Phonecian era.
The Phonecians invented the first alpahbet. 

The Market




The Crusader's Church- It was decorated for a wedding this day.
 Although Byblos is the oldest city on earth, somehow modernity has a way of sneaking in.  Many things in the market have cause me to scratch my head, including a Tupac backpack, a George Bush backpack, and an NRA poker set.  How they got there I have no idea, but right now I'm wishing I would've gotten pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment