Friday, June 10, 2011

Lebanese Lira

One fascinating (and convenient!) thing about Lebanon is that it uses both the Lebanese lira and the US dollar as currency.  From the day you step off the plane until the day you leave you can spend your US dollars anywhere.  In addition, you may pay in dollars, and get back lira and dollars, or pay in lira, and get back dollars and lira.  You can both pay and get change in any combination. 


Lebanese Lira is so colorful it looks a little like play money,
which makes it very easy to spend!

The going ratio from lira to dollar is 1,500 to 1.  So 3,000 Lebanese lira = 2 US dollars.  This makes for some interesting math when you're trying to pay for something and count your change. 

To make things even more complicated (or fun if you like math, which I do), restaurants do not split checks.  So when we're in a group of 10, we may get a bill that says 50,000 Lebanese lira, and then we have to figure out how to pay and get change for every one's individual purchase and combination of dollars and lira, plus the tip.  I enjoy figuring out the money when I'm out with my friends because every time it works out perfectly, I feel a little victory boost in my day.
Some friends and I eating lunch at BarBar
Our whole bill was 62,000LL.  That's right, we're high rollers. 
That's about $40 total.  For 10 of us. 

1 comment:

  1. that would confuse me so much! Perfect for Nicole though.

    ReplyDelete